Thursday, March 1, 2012

First 3 Days of Ellie's Life aka The Hospital Stay

After Ellie was born, since it was a c-section, we  were in the hospital until Friday afternoon. That meant lots of time in the hospital room!

In the middle of Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (depending how you look at it) they got me up and walking. I felt so unstable getting up. It made me feel like I was 100 years old already, since I had to use my IV stand as support drag my IV around. All I had to do was walk in a path that was a square (in hallways it can't be a circle) and brought me back to my room. The nurse said that if I could just walk down the hall and back (not the full loop) then it would be a great start. Thinking in my mind about how the doctor and nurses had told me multiple times that walking would help me heal faster, I braved going around the loop not once, but twice. My nurse was really surprised, and so was I. Although it was painful, it felt nice to not feel so trapped in my bed.

One great thing about hospitals is that since I was stuck relaxing in my bed, I could call and ask for a variety of juices and ice water to keep myself hydrated. Another great thing is that they have cable TV. HGTV, how I miss you! The weird thing about their TVs is that the sound comes out of the remote that is attached to your bed. I don't think I ever really got used to that.

To be quite honest, all the days in the hospital seem to run together in my mind, since I was up so frequently with Ellie, and we had really thick blinds and window treatments in my room. The only indication of time to me was looking at the clock or seeing Kurt sleeping on the couch.

It was a great time getting to talk with family on the phone though! Sometimes it takes family members to point  out all the things you would never think about with having a c-section. The prime example that sticks out to me comes from my sister, Lindsay. We were talking and she said, "I bet Ellie has a beautifully shaped head." I had never thought about that before. Indeed, Linds was right, Ellie didn't have a cone head.

Luckily, even with the short notice, my mom was able to drop everything to come out to be with us. She arrived Thursday night. It was great getting to see her, and having her help out for a week. Since Ellie was so small, and her newborn clothes swallowed her up, Kurt and my mom did some shopping before we left the hospital. They picked out some adorable clothes! Also, on Thursday night Kurt and I had to go to the discharge meeting. I didn't want to be in my gown walking around the hospital wanted to be more comfortable and changed into the sweats I wore driving to the hospital. It felt so nice when my nurse came in (the shifts had just changed) and didn't think I was the patient when I walked out of the bathroom. It was a great way to brighten my day. ;) Everything else went smoothly.

Thanks lady who has five kids and helped Kurt and Mom install the carseat. You're a real lifesaver!

Alright, I know what you're thinking, "Get on to the pictures already!" Here's what you're waiting for!


Mommy and Ellie



I guess hospitals will make you sleep any way. I just don't see how this way would be comfortable with his hand all bent...


This helps you see how small she really was coming home. (4 lb 6-7 oz)


Again, Ellie in the car seat.

This is my "please don't walk too fast for me" trudge.


Right after the discharge meeting the night before we left.


Daddy and our little lady!


Grandma and Ellie!


Such love for this little girl!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Em, I love your way with words! Neat the way you explain things. I sure miss you guys! Can't wait until Easter...Love, Mom (aka Grandma Jones)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!! I love ALL of the pictures! What a sweet little family. :)

    ...I can't believe they didn't let you ride in a wheel chair on your way home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, they would have, but I didn't want to. Something about being too prideful, haha. ;)

    ReplyDelete