Following the ultrasound, I had my regular Doctor's appointment on Monday the 16th. On this day I had the strep test done, and the doctor said I was dilated to a 2 (he suggested that Ellie might come a week early with me being almost 36 weeks and already dilating). He also informed us that Ellie was still breech. He told us that I would have an ultrasound every week until she was born to monitor her growth, fluid levels, and to see if the cord was around her at all. If it was not he was going to try to manually turn her at our next appointment. He told me that taking warm baths would help her turn on her own, so he said to take an hour long bath each day. After this, we were set and on our way home.
Later that evening, Kurt and I went to the hospital tour of the triage. (Looking back I can't help but see how funny/ironic this is.)
The next morning went as usual. After Kurt left for work, I called my mom and we talked for a bit. Then I got started on cleaning some of the apartment. After cleaning I got put together Ellie's bookcase. It had been a project I'd been itching to do for a few weeks. After putting it together and organizing the books I decided to take the bath. I got in and just started a new novel. After about 45 minutes I heard my phone buzz, so I just barely leaned forward to grab it and whoosh! My water broke! Of course, like any
After my shower I threw on some sweats and made sure to call the hospital triage (my doctor's office was out to lunch), and they told me they'd need me to check me out to be sure. She asked when it had happened because I guess many soon-to-be mothers postpone calling sometimes until a day later. I assured her it had happened within the last 20 minutes (at 11:45 AM). After this, I drove to the hospital (luckily it was only a 10 minute drive). I got there by 12:45. Of course, since I hadn't finished registering online (I was 4 wks early!), I had to register when I got there and wait to be seen and talk about what was going on.
When I got in to be seen by a nurse, it just so happened to be the nurse I had talked to on the phone. She knew I was a day before 36 weeks and said she would check me out, but that I "had a pretty good story." Of course, my water had broken, I was dilated to a 4, having heavy contractions, and Ellie was still breech (and not enjoying getting squeezed by the contractions in all the wrong places). She told me, "You're gonna want to make some calls, we're gonna be having baby in a few." Nervous as can be I called Kurt at work to notify him to get there ASAP, but to drive safely of course! ;) After that I called my mom to notify the family. The next little while was complete craziness in my room. There were about 7 people running in and out. (One of which came in and said, "Oh, you're breech girl, I heard about you!") The initial nurse was there, a nurse getting me to sign all the paperwork, others getting the bed ready to be transferred, and at one point I had 3 people trying to get an IV started. They were a little nervous because my strep test results weren't back since it had only been done the day before (so they'd have to check Ellie when she was born). During the whole course they were so kind talking to me, and telling me not to worry, that it would all work out.
Kurt arrived a half hour later (about 2:20). When he got in he was handed a set of scrubs to put on his work clothes. I still remember him asking the nurse, "So, are we going to have baby in the next few hours?" Her response was, "No, she'll be here within the hour." The surprise was evident on his face with that comment.
Right away they wheeled me in to the operation room, and while they prepped me Kurt waiting in a room next door. Everyone was so kind talking to me throughout the whole procedure asking me about different things in life, so I wouldn't be so stressed. When they brought Kurt in they began the procedure at 2:45 PM. after much pushing and tugging they got Ellie out and she was born at 2:53 PM. (It took them a little while to get her head out since she was breech.) At first, I couldn't see her, since she was on the other side of the room. Kurt was able to be over with her and cut the cord. The first of Ellie I knew, was hearing her cry. I couldn't help it, because it was such a crazy day, and I teared up a little. Then they brought her over to me before getting her all cleaned, and we got some pictures taken, and I got to kiss my little love.
Then Kurt and Ellie went next store, and they got to work putting me back together. I got to join them at 3:25. It was such a crazy experience. The many miracles of modern medicine! We are so blessed that it all turned out as it did. Ellie was perfectly healthy, just little. We were able to go home on time, and the doctors kept saying how Ellie was tiny but mighty. We love our little girl so much!
Ellie Elizabeth
Born on January 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM
4 LB 10 OZ
18 IN long
Ellie and Mommy!!
Kisses! <33
Ellie's first bath.
Although I know my face is swollen from the IV fluid I love little Ellie in front.
More posts to come!!
What a sweet baby! And you did a good job on the bedroom. isn't it fun to "play" house. :) I remember it feeling like that when we first had Kamiah.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Linds! It feels great to be home with Ellie and decorating stuff!! :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats Em! Little girls are so fun! That is a great birth story, thanks for sharing it! She is beautiful:)
ReplyDelete