Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Doctor's Appointments

So, whenever a new grandchild is born my mom always tries to come out and help. Even with Ellie coming a month early she was able to drop everything and come two days later. It was such a blessing having her around, and we loved it so much.

Since I had a c-section things worked out a little differently though. The doctor told me he didn't want me to go anywhere except to the doctor's office for the next two weeks. (We were a little disappointed because it meant I couldn't go out and do anything [shop] with my mom in town like she normally does with everyone else. Instead, Kurt and my mom could go do stuff with his time off.) He [the doctor] told me to just take it easy, to not cook or clean, and to relax. However, just "going to the doctor's" proved to be much more time consuming than anticipated.

On Friday going to the pharmacy to get my medicine took multiple attempts before it was done. First, we dropped it off, then went to pick it up when they said it would be done, but it wasn't, so then we had to come back several hours later. All of these times my presence was required.

Flash forward two days. On Sunday Ellie was looking rather yellow. They had told us as the hospital before we were discharged to look out for this because since she was breastfeeding, a preemie, and did not have my blood type she was at a much higher risk of her bilirubin levels going too high, or beyond the desired levels. At 10:30 AM I called the pediatrician's office and left a message. They got back to me and told me that just to be safe (even though I had an appointment the following day) we should take her into the ER to be sure. Kurt, my mom, Ellie, and I all headed there. However, this proved to be quite the outing, and four hours later we learned her levels we A-OK and that we could go home. We were told to follow up with our pediatrician the next day are our (almost) one week appt.

Here's Ellie at the hospital being examined. My mom thought to take a photo.



On Monday, (my birthday) we had Ellie's 1 week appointment. Everything was going fine, but we were told to get another bilirubin test done, and the following day to have the regular infant metabolic blood test done. Later in the day we went to get the lab done. All of these appointments took several hours as well. This day I also called my doctor regarding my incision, and they wanted me to come in on Tuesday to take a look at it.

On Tuesday Kurt drove me to my doctor's appointment. After getting checked out (everything was fine) we headed home. Then, in the afternoon we had to get the lab done on Ellie. Again, wasn't I just supposed to be relaxing, eating bon-bons, and being waited on?

With all of these appointments going on, and my mom wishing on her last night (Wednesday) that we could go out to get something to eat, I decided to bend the rules a little. I was spending hours and hours at doctor's offices all week, couldn't I just sit at a restaurant for once measly hour and eat? Yes, indeed I could (I reasoned), and I did. Chili's was amazing and a great non-doctor's office venture, but was just what I needed!

1 comment:

  1. I remember those first couple weeks and all of the appointments! It was a lot of work that I honestly didn't expect. Glad everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete