Two weeks ago we had the opportunity to use the library's culture passes (if you have a library card you can get free tickets to museums, the zoo, and the gardens) to go to the Desert Botanical Gardens. We had never been there before and were excited to bust out the stroller to walk around in the beautiful 70 degree weather. Boy, were we surprised with all of the crazy desert plants. They sure are interesting to see!
(*Warning: Be prepared for a mass amount of photos)
Below you can see our first impression of the gardens. It was the typical desert landscape. Although it isn't the type of landscape we are used to, it definitely has its own kind of beauty.
This cactus had so many spines (I looked it up, since I knew they weren't thorns) that it looked fake to me. It reminded me of my grandma's fake cactus that sits in their living room back home.
I was shocked at all of the variety of cacti they had. Who knew? Right?
I thought it was crazy how these ones grew. They curved up, and then the ones behind them (see next picture) look like little snakes curving everywhere.
Here are the snakey ones. They look like they are crawling all over each other to me.
The one on the left is called the "Old Man of the Andes." I thought of you on this one, Nick! It grows in Peru. I definitely can see the "old man" image for it. He looks all furry/hairy and it's wiry white! I wouldn't want to touch him though!!
We had to get some pictures with us in them! It's a cool mountainy-hill thing in the background. Whenever we see it there's always tons of people hiking it and climbing in it, but I still have no idea how they get there. It looks pretty cool though. Ellie was asleep at this time. We did take her out to feed her while we were there though and everyone who walked by oooh-ed and ahhh-ed at her and couldn't believe how little she was.
I wouldn't want to get in a fight with this cactus. I do have to say that its pink spines are pretty crazy!
Walking in the forest of cacti.
I think they are trying to bring the wave back out in the desert.
Can you say GIGANTIC cacti? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that's what I was thinking. Although we've seen lots of cacti while living down here, I don't think I've seen any THAT large. It made me feel like I was stuck back in "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids."
I thought this was a pretty cool sun dial, but I'm sure glad our time is more accurate now! It was 1:10 when I took this picture. Again, you can see the cool mountainy-hill thing. Only this time it is up close!
We had a great time at the gardens and here is a sample of the things we saw. Sorry I couldn't give you all of the scientific information pertaining to everything or discuss anything in depth. I just know what I thought looked cool and thought I'd share it all. ;) All-in-all the culture passes didn't disappoint!
No comments:
Post a Comment