Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Moment in Time

Ever have a moment in time that you wish you could freeze forever? Okay, so maybe not 'freeze,' but have it forever engraved in your mind?

Today, a moment like that happened. It was such a sweet precious moment that I wish could have been recorded.

I had just recently gotten out of the shower, gotten dressed, and brushed my hair, when Ellie woke up from her afternoon nap. I went and picked up my little love bug, changed her diaper, and laid on the carpet with her.

(Today was one of those days that followed suit after several other days of not sleeping well at night or at nap times, so, of course, she was crabby as all get out. However, for five brief minutes there was pure joy.)

As we laid on our backs on the carpet looking at each other, I began playing a little game with her. I'd turn my head, look the other way, and then look back at her and pull my best "I'm-so-shocked-you're-right-next-to-me-I-had-no-idea-you-were-there" look. After repeating the process several times, she began to crack a smile or laugh as I kept repeating this.

Several minutes later I stopped turning and just was watching and talking to her. To my dismay, she rolled over onto her side away from me, and then turned her body back onto her back and looked at me. I thought she had just rolled over and back and didn't think much of it, until not 5 seconds after she repeated this. I realized she was taking a turn playing the game (only - she was missing the look). I, of course, started playing my best surprised face as she repeated the process 7-8 more times.

This was Ellie's first time really, consciously copying me. It was such a sweet simple moment, but I want to remember it forever. It helps me realize just how much she is learning and what all she truly understands. I'm sure it's a first of many times she will imitate those around her, but I just want to cherish how little she is right now.

I'm sure in the next week or two she will be full on crawling (right now she is moving her knees, but hasn't quite figured out the keeping-balanced-while-moving them part), but for now at least she wants to be cuddled with and I'm gonna soak it up.

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty adorable. I love it so much.

    Also, I really like your new layout! It looks just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete