On our drive up to the park I couldn't believe how green Island Park was. I don't think I've ever seen it that green before! It definitely rained a lot in May, no doubt about that.
Right after entering the park we saw on the side of the road a bald eagle's nest. We had to keep on driving and weren't allowed to stop, but luckily I got a picture of the baby's little gray head sticking out of the nest. :] It was pretty cute. Since this was the first thing we saw (even before buffalo!) I took it as a good omen for the day. Then, of course, we saw many buffalo on our drive too.
Shortly after entering we saw tons of people pulled over on the side of the road. When we heard there were wolves we had to stop. As we were standing on the hill though, we couldn't see the wolves because they were standing too far away. There were so many nice people up there though, and they came right over handing us their binoculars and pointing out where the wolves were at so we could see them too. It was the first time Kurt and I had both seen wolves in Yellowstone, so it was pretty neat.
After this, we saw all different types of scenery. We drove from the flatter parts to the mountains and to everything in between. So, of course we took tons of pictures. Here is what follows.
Now we have a lot of pictures while we were at Mammoth Hot Springs. I thought it was beautiful with the bright orange colors and with the backdrop of the mountains behind. It was a lot of fun walking around, and we loved hearing all the different languages people spoke. Some of the languages we knew right away, but others we had to speculate.
I don't know if you can see in the picture below very well, but on out way to see the waterfall (with all the rocks) there was a spot in the clouds full of color like a rainbow. It was the weirdest thing, but I thought it was really pretty, unique, and interesting!
After this waterfall, we went to see the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. We made the hike down to the waterfall and took some pictures just in time before it started to rain. Then we hiked back up to the car while the rain helped us cool off. I always love looking through the Canyon, and if you're wondering about the hazy look it is the mists from the waterfall rising up. :]
So, all in all our trip was a success at spotting wildlife! We saw the bald eagle baby, buffalo, wolves, elk, squirrels, antelope, and a bear among other things!
Looks like you guys had fun. We went through Yellowstone on our honeymoon. We need to get together sometime before school starts!
ReplyDeleteLooks like fun! And looks like you were lucky enough to see a lot of wildlife, Jorden and I never get that lucky!
ReplyDeletePretty pictures! Yellowstone is so beautiful!
ReplyDelete